Monday, June 29, 2009

Just because I care about you

One day a teacher asked her students to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name.Then she told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down.

That Saturday, the teacher wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and listed what everyone else had said about that individual.

On Monday she gave each student his or her list. Before long, the entire class was smiling. 'Really?' she heard whispered. 'I never knew that I meant anything to anyone!' and, 'I didn't know others liked me so much,' were most of the comments.

No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. She never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn't matter. The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another. That group of students moved on.


Of course, there's a poignant ending to this story with all the students saying how much the 'paper' meant to them. To me the previous portion is what is important. People never seem to realize how valued they are - how much they are loved. I've had it in my mind for some time to make a list of the qualities I see every day in one special person I love. I'm sure he has no idea how great he is. I think it's a cool idea for a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment